Mark Maskell is highly experienced wedding DJ in Washington DC, with expertise extending far beyond simply rocking the dancefloor after dinner. DJ Maskell has played more than 300 weddings over the past 10 years through his independent mobile DJ service and has become a very well-rounded professional with an extensive knowledge of wedding planning and coordination. This background helps to provide his clients with the resources to plan out their agenda for the entire wedding reception from cocktail hour till the last dance.
Unlike dealing with large wedding DJ agencies, you will be working directly with DJ Maskell himself from first contact till the last song is played at your wedding. As an independent professional, DJ Maskell is able to provide a level of personalized service that no large agency can match, working extensively with each of his customers individually to help plan out every detail of the reception.
His style and methodology have proven quite popular. Nearly 100% of his wedding bookings come from past customers who strongly recommended his services to their friends, or from people who have seen Maskell playing at other events. Take a look and see what DJ Maskell can do for your wedding.
"DJ Maskell in HARRISONBURG" Audience Participation Level
> Low-Key/Formal - Very Little Audience Participation > Moderate Interaction - Medium Audience Participation > High Energy - Lots of Audience Participation
- English- Spanish
Years of Experience: 10
DJ Maskell has played more than 300 weddings in the Northern Virginia, Shenandoah Valley, DC, Maryland area. DJ Maskell’s style is unique because of his background in nightclubs. He really knows how to get a crowd going and keep everyone dancing throughout the night while still being able to run the other parts of the wedding in a traditional manner. Unlike many wedding DJs, Maskell spins on turntables and runs an active dynamic lighting system, all of which is combined with his crowd interaction that is second-to-none. He is a born entertainer with elements of his upbeat personality, outgoing nature, and endless energy visible in his DJing style.
His nightclub background also gives him a distinct advantage in music selection. Regularly playing for some of the hottest clubs in Washington DC, Maskell can be counted on to play hit after hit after hit of the very best in current Top 40, Dance, Hip Hop, and Club Hits. The songs we know and the versions we love, with the exact blend of music depending completely on your taste in music. He is also exceedingly flexible; willing to completely bend his style to match yours, even if that means playing none of his own music.
But it’s not just about playing Top 40 all night. Maskell is also fully prepared with the option to play some of the best hits from Motown to 80s in consideration of parents, grandparents, and guests from the older generation. Often played during just the first part of the dancing section, this optional music selection is carefully selected to make the older generation happy while still entertaining guests from the younger generation.
That being said, it’s also important to note that crap will never, ever be played:
“You will never hear horrible songs like YMCA, Electric Slide, Macarena, Chicken Dance, etc. coming out of my speakers. Ever. In my opinion, any DJ that plays that stuff should be sentenced to a lifetime ban from DJing, and should probably be tarred and feathered for our amusement.” – Mark Maskell
In addition to the hundreds of weddings, DJ Maskell has regularly played at dozens of nightclubs including:
Nightclubs in DC & Vicinity:
Big Night DC
Great American Festival
Shamrockfest @ RFK Stadium
Nightclubs in Harrisonburg:
Bourbon Street on Main
Mainstreet Bar & Grill
Additional Sound System - Starting Price: Not Defined
Basic Lights Starting Price: Not Defined
Best Light Show Starting Price: Not Defined
Photography Starting Price: Not Defined
Uplighting and Color Light Effects Starting Price: Not Defined
Video Projection System Starting Price: Not Defined
All Party Mix/Variety Popular/Rock/Top 40 Rap/Hip Hop/Reggaetón Techno/House/Electronica
You may request a list of references via my contact page:
Any DJ will understand when they’ve really had an on-point set, and this year at Shamrockfest I really nailed it and I couldn’t be happier with the results. I subjected the crowd to my blend of Electronic Dance Music, Electro, Progressive, House, and squeezed in some Top 40 as well.
A thousand happy, green, drunk people crammed in a tent, all jumping, dancing, and singing along to the music while I fist pumped and bounced around behind the turntables with excitement. I couldn’t help but join them, it was such an energetic party that I couldn’t sit still. Of course, I can’t sit still anyways (and teachers always hated me for that), but that’s okay when you’re a DJ. I can’t wait to do it again next year!
Your wedding DJ is responsible for most, if not all of the entertainment at your wedding reception, so it’s important you hire no one but the best. No matter where you live, there are talented DJs available when you need them at a price point you can afford. On top of recommendations from your peers, an online search of reputable agencies will provide you with a host of terrific DJs to consider.
Your wedding DJ is responsible for most, if not all of the entertainment at your wedding reception, so it’s important you hire no one but the best. No matter where you live, there are talented DJs available when you need them at a price point you can afford. On top of recommendations from your peers, an online search of reputable agencies will provide you with a host of terrific DJs to consider. Pick at least two of them to interview and carefully consider each of these five qualities to help you find the best fit for your wedding:
1. Personality – Within a few short minutes, you should be able to gage whether or not the DJ has a personality you can work well with. Are they affable? Upbeat? Witty? Humorous? Do they sustain good eye contact and speak clearly? Do they make you feel at ease? Do they seem genuinely interested in your wedding reception and eager to learn as much about you and your guests as possible? If they make you uncomfortable in any way during the interview, chances are they will do the same for your guests, so don’t be afraid to follow your instincts on this one.
2. Knowledge – You’ll know right away that a DJ is knowledgeable when they can quickly name the title and artist of that hit song that you only know a few words to. In addition, they should be able to tell you in depth about all of their equipment from the wattage of their speakers to why they chose to work with one brand of mp3 player over another, or how a certain program on their laptop is perfect for beat matching and syncing, etc.
3. Reliability – All good DJs will provide you with a list of past clients upon your request. After you’ve obtained a list, call a few of them and ask about the DJs reliability. Were they punctual? Did they come prepared with all the right equipment and back up equipment in case of emergencies? Did they follow through on all of their promises and play all of their client’s requests?
4. Adaptability – You want a DJ that will listen to your needs, make note of all of your requests, and offer up ideas of their own that they feel will enhance the overall entertainment value. Contacting past clients and asking them if the DJ was able to adapt quickly to the crowd and the energy in the room will help you analyze this quality further.
5. Special Skills – Do a large number of your guests speak a language other than English? If so, hiring a bilingual DJ might be a wise decision. Will you want a colorful light show to heighten the overall visual experience? There are DJs available who can provide LED lighting systems, mirror balls, etc., upon request. Are there any ‘out of the ordinary’ activities you require your DJ to emcee?
Keeping these qualities in mind during the wedding coordinating process will ensure you hire the best wedding disc jockey available!
Hiring a professional DJ can make all the difference when it comes to the success of your event. Whether you’re planning your wedding, coordinating a school or corporate event, or just throwing a good old-fashioned party, you want to hire a DJ that will provide you with the best entertainment value to fit your needs.
Wedding DJ pricing. So, how much does a wedding DJ cost? This depends on how comfortable you are with the lighting, experience, equipment, music, and fun options. You should try unique things because your wedding is far from ordinary. This does not mean you need to break the bank with wedding DJ prices, but see what options are really worth the cost.